Friday 16 September 2011

THE FAST

We had been talking for ages about doing a fasting or detox. I'm not sure how we started talking about it, but my mum and dad used to do it when I was a kid. We have all these pictures in the photo albums of them pulling horrified faces whilst drinking unspeakable vegetable juices in order to detox themselves. But this was in the early 80's in Sweden which was in the firm grip of the Green Wave, so I'm sure no one bat an eyelid. When we told our friends what we were doing we had mixed responses, from morbid fascination to blank glazing over of the eyes.

We went for 7 days only drinking juices and the dreaded potato water and herbal teas. It should be called Slowing, not Fasting. We spent the first two days alternating between euphoric happiness and wanting to bite each others heads off, but then it became quite easy and by the end of it we were really happy that we did it and we actually felt very healthy in a way I don't think I've felt since I was a kid. But I wouldn't recommend doing it more than once a year. It's too hard on your friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment